Friday, May 07, 2010

Kodak Zi6 Pocket Video Camera Camcorder freezes

I have a Kodak Zi6 Pocket Video Camera Camcorder that freezes when recording after a minute or so. You have to remove the batteries to get it to reboot, and then it freezes again. I tried changing the batteries and changing the memory card but it still happens after a few minutes.

It seems to have started when I updated the firmware to version 1.1.1. The update was supposed to allow me to to use a memory card higher than the 1 Gbyte provided.

I can't recommend anyone buying a Kodak video camera including the Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera Camcorder. Despite multiple complaints about the camera, Kodak has not issued a fix.

Geek Squad at BestBuy appears to have stopped carrying the Zi6 and Zi8 and instead they recommend the Flip camera.

I have the first generation Flip camera and it is easy to use and the only trade-off is there is no removable memory. When the memory fills up you have download it to a computer.

Addendum:
I wrote to Kodak and about three weeks later I received a reply and a new Kodak 2 GB SDHC memory chip in the mail. That solved the problem. It appears that you need to use Kodak formatted memory. Previously I had used a Sandisk 8 GB SDHC memory card, then the online help forum told me I had to reformat it in the camera. That had no effect. I would have preferred Kodak send me an 8 GB memory card, but I am glad that the problem is resolved. Kodak sells their 8 GB cards for $47.56 and I just paid $40 for a pair of 8 GB cards at Costco. So the camera is not a good value if I have to use Kodak branded memory cards. I paid about $200 for the camera and I will have to overpay by $30 anytime I buy new memory cards to use for extended shoots. I bought this camera over the new Zip just because it had removable memory cards.