Thursday, July 14, 2005

George Prescott Overton II (1930-1982) biography

George Prescott Overton II (1930-1982) Stockman, W.T. Grant & Company, Connecticut (b. June 05, 1930, Washington, District of Columbia, USA - d. December 23, 1982, Groton, New London County, Connecticut, 06340, USA) Social Security Number 220286799.

George was the son of George Prescott Overton I (1901-1958) and Dorothy Ina Stead (1911-1989) and has two siblings.

Laurel, Maryland:
In 1949 he was living at 8 Dell Place, Laurel, Prince Georges County, Maryland when he applied for Social Security.

Memories of George Overton:
Kathleen Ina Overton (1956- ) writes on July 14, 2005: "[He] worked at W.T. Grant in the stockroom for as far back as [I] can remember. [He] had grande mal epilepsy as a result of a blow to the back of his head when he was a little boy. Back in that day little was known about the disorder and it was greatly misunderstood. People actually considered it a form of mental illness and I know for [him] he was not allowed to attend school for some time because of his epilepsy and the fear of it. Anyway, he worked at W.T. Grant in the stockroom despite the epilepsy. Even controlled with his medications he would have anywhere from 1 - 4 or 5 seizures per week. But he still went to work every day for, I would have to say, at least 12 or more years. He worked up in a 2nd story loft, he worked unloading entire truckloads of store products and he opened the boxes to remove the products to stock the shelves with box cutters. He was the ONLY stockroom personnel so this should tell you that the managers of W.T. Grant placed alot of trust in George Overton despite his epilepsy. It should also tell you that despite the fact that he could not drive - remember, he had grande mal epilepsy - he trudged to work every single day that he couldn't get a ride, day in and day out, through heat, rain, snow, darkness, etc. because he had 3 children depending on him. Sometimes he would have a seizure on the way to or from work. There would be no one there to help him. Yet he would pick himself up and walk either home or to work sometimes needing stitches, a few times he even had a broken bone. ... He was also the only member of our extended family that held a job. And guess where all those people came when they got booted from their addresses because they couldn't keep up with the rent? yup - straight to 20 Fitch Avenue where the rent was always paid, the phone always worked, the electricity was always paid. I can't begin to tell you how many times [he] had loser aunts and uncles living at [the] house. My father wouldn't turn them down for many reasons - they were his brother or sisters, he felt for their kids and they were the children of his mother who lived with us in our house. He left W.T. Grant because the store chain closed. From there he went to Easter Seals and worked."

He died in 1982 while living at 20 Fitch Avenue, Groton, New London County, Connecticut.