Monday, March 12, 2007

Maria Elizabeth Winblad (1895-1987) letters

Maria Elizabeth Winblad (1895-1987) to Thomas Patrick Norton II (1920- ):
[1944, November or December]
Dear Tommy
Well here we are almost at the end of another year. I hope and pray it won't be for long now, and we can have you home for keeps. if we hold fast to our faith, and as good soldiers endure that which is before us we shall gain the victory. A very blessed Christmas be yours. Mom
Maria Elizabeth Winblad (1895-1987) to Judith Elizabeth Norton (1951- ):

August 02, 1979
Dear Judy [Judith Elizabeth Norton]
How is my sweet to-day? Breakfast is over and now I must keep in touch with my loved ones. Right? It was so kind of Richard [Richard Arthur Norton] to bring Mama [Selma Louise Freudenberg] to see me. Hadn't seen him in a long time. Had a longing to see him, and then he came. It made me feel happy. And then I got to see Mama too. Tommy [Thomas Patrick Norton III] and Susan [Manson] when she comes to them for a visit. [I can] not remember when she was leaving. The weather is hot and humid, but I get out in the shade from 2 to 4 most days. There is always a breeze, some days more than others. Good to watch the folks go by. Many times I fall asleep. The lady in the kitchen gave me enclosed paper. Thought you might like to read it. Mr. Frank just celebrated his 90th birthday. After the residents had gone to bed on our floor they gave me a call to come up front. The aides had bought cake, and we sang happy birthday. There were 8 of us. he was so happy. We celebrated all those here who had birthdays in July over a week ago, in the big dining room. The one lady was 101, [she does] not have the strength to walk around. She's in a wheelchair all the time, told me she feels good, does not have an ache or a pain and her mind is very active. She goes well in her wheelchair. Will write again next week. God keep you all in his loving care.
Grandma [Maria Elizabeth Freudenberg] XXXX
Maria Elizabeth Winblad (1895-1987) to Selma Louise Freudenberg (1921- ):
October 1986
My Dear Selma -
Received your letter. Many thanks for writing and remembering me. They just brought me word from the desk, that Naida [Freudenberg], and Pete [Van Deusen], will not be here to-day, as Naida is not feeling well. I have not seen Helen [Freudenberg], and Al [Brindley] for a while, as they are still down at the shore. I think Michael [Borland] is there. But she likes it down there anyway. So Richard [Arthur Norton] has gained 5 lbs., well he could use it, and I hope all is going well at his new job. Mama knows with you out in Paramus, it is not easy to get in. Maybe some time I could come and stay with you for a few days, as I do with Naida and Helen, if it could be arranged. The Lord keep you safe in Him. Keep praying, and trusting in Him always.
your old mother [Maria Elizabeth Freudenberg] XXXXXXX